James Broom / Spencer James Memorial Bursaries – Call for Applications
The Windsor-Essex FIRST Community is committed to recognizing graduating students who are active in their FIRST Robotics team, as well as their community. We also want to encourage continued involvement in the program.
In 2014 we lost two members of our FIRST family. James Broom was a team member of the Maranatha Christian Academy, FRC team 4595. Spencer James was a mentor with team for the Belle River Automatons, FRC team 4920. Both were sadly taken from our community way too soon – just after our inaugural event in 2014. As a way of honouring their memories and contributions, a total of 5 bursaries will be offered as the James Broom Bursaries and the Spencer James Bursaries.
These bursaries are to support continued education, and to encourage continued involvement in the FIRST Community. Each $1,000.00 bursary and will be received by the awarded students upon proof of enrollment in a continued education program.
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must:
- Be a FIRST Robotics participant from a Windsor, Essex or Kent County Team
- Have a GPA of B- or higher (70%)
- Graduating high school in June 2017
- Pursuing continued education (University, College, Trade Program)
- Confirmation of enrollment in a University, College or Apprenticeship program required within 12 months of announcement.
- To apply, students must submit the following before Monday, May 22nd 2017 by 11:59 pm.
- A completed scholarship application form
- Personal essay: Please address these questions in 900 characters (including spaces) or less per section
- How were you involved in your FIRST Robotics Team?
- How were you involved in your FIRST Robotics Community?
- Describe what FIRST has meant to you.
- How will continued education shape your future and what are your “FIRST” plans after High School?
Please submit application materials to:
Windsor-Essex FIRST Robotics – Memorial Bursary Committee
The successful candidates will be contacted by In June and posted on our website. Good Luck!